Constipation can be uncomfortable. Learn what to do to help you.
What is constipation?
What is considered constipation for some, it’s perfectly normal to others, which makes it a little difficult to define. Basically, we talk about constipation when bowel patterns change and become less frequent or when difficult and painful.
A quarter of the populations suffer from constipation at some point in their lives. As you grow, you have more chances of bowel muscles weaken over time. Pregnant women are more prone to constipation.
The most common symptoms are:
- Stomach cramps
- Abdominal distention
- Diarrhea: constipation is one of the most common causes of diarrhea.
- Inactivity and lack of exercise
- Do not drink enough fluids
- Low-fiber diet
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Cancer of the colon or rectum
- High level of calcium in the blood
- Certain medications.
However, some people suffer from chronic constipation without a definite cause.
How to avoid
- Eat a healthy diet containing large quantities of fiber from the bran, fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce intake of white bread, cakes and sweets.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Plums and their juices have a laxative effect.
- Exercise regularly to improve digestion.
How to treat
Side effects of constipation:
- Hemorrhoids are swollen veins around the anal passage, caused by straining. They can be painful and bleed.
- Dependence on laxatives. If you use laxatives for constipation for long periods of time, the intestine can become lazy and dependent on these drugs.
- Hernia worsened by exertion.
- Prolapse of the uterus or rectum caused by excessive stress and muscle weakness.
- Increase fiber and fluid intake through food.
- Laxatives such as Fybogel and regulate contain binders should be consumed in large amounts of fluid.
- Stimulant laxatives that cause contraction of intestinal muscles, such as Senna.
- Osmotic laxatives that increase the amount of fluid in the stool.
- If your constipation is caused by medication, stop the use or change the type of medicine may solve the problem.