Are you feeling lethargic or tired? Do you suffer from skin disorders, get sick quickly or have digestive problems? Do you have trouble losing weight? It might be a good idea to go on a detox.
There are so many different kinds of detoxes that it might be hard to know which one to choose – thin tea detox, smoothie detox or soup detox.
Detoxing has been around for centuries but only recently has it gained a lot of attention and become popular. Detoxing is a way of cleansing your body from the inside out. This results in removal of toxins, cleaning and nourishing your body and then feeding it with healthy food and essential nutrients.
How does it work?
Detoxification is a process of removing any impurities from the blood. This could be from the food and drink we ingest or also from the chemicals and pollution on our body.
A detox program can aid the body to:
- Fasting so our internal organs get some rest.
- Helping the liver to excrete toxins from our body.
- Toxins are also eliminated from the body via the skin, liver and kidney.
- Our blood circulation is increased.
- Adding healthy wholesome food into our diet.
When should you go on a detox?
Everyone should detox at least once a year as we consume so much junk food so we should give our body the rest and time to heal from the toxins we fill it with. It’s always a good idea to check with your health care professional on when and what kind of detox you should go on. Certain individuals like pregnant women, the sick and elderly should be especially careful.
Which program should you go on?
There are so many detoxing programs available so it’s best to do your research and consult a professional before starting one. Here are the most popular ones:
- Sugar detox
- Juice cleanse
- Smoothie cleanse
- Veggie an fruit cleanse
- Soup cleanse
Some essentials to keep in mind when you want to detox
- Incorporate a lot of fibre into your diet: Fibre is essential in helping you have regular bowels and is a great addition to your meals. Examples include brown rice, broccoli, seaweed and beetroot.
- Take herbs and supplements: Along with a strict diet, a detox program might also involve taking some herbs or supplements to help aid the detoxing process. Drinking green tea also helps.
- Add vitamin C: This is an essential vitamin that produces an essential compound which helps the liver to remove toxins from our body.
- Drink lots of water: Water is essential in hydrating our body and to bring a glow to our skin. It also prevents premature aging.
- Breathe deeply and allow oxygen to circulate around your body.
- Think positive and don’t stress the small issues: not all issues are within our control so avoid stressing about those you can’t do anything about. Focus on the present and be grateful for everything you have.
- Spend some time in a sauna: This will help to remove toxins through your skin.
- Exercise: Some form of exercise is essential for detoxing, build strong lean muscle and losing weight. Try yoga, light cardio or even swimming or running.