Many men work tirelessly and in most cases state that this work is aimed at exhausting the personal welfare of his family.
However, this large amount of activity can turn into a serious obsession that actually hides a way to escape from realities that are favorable. They say that this type of addict is at work all the success you can not get in other areas of your life.
Workaholic: what is it?
The work, as such, besides being a common means to earn your daily bread, an activity that allows the man to strengthen their skills in addition to their creativity and nurture their self-esteem and this is normal and satisfactory to make this happen.
However, when this tendency to work undergoes changes that become active in an obsession with the individual begins to suffer the consequences, because it absorbs most of their time leaving no space for other activities that may also provide personally rewarding.
This alteration of behavior is called workaholism and if not caught in time and change compulsive behavior at work can lead to serious health problems.
Generally, those who are suffering from this addiction are people called workaholic created an obligation to work more than they should on his own initiative, even take over jobs that correspond to them and see them always busy, no time for other things, neglecting their social life and relationships with family and friends.
These people are always mentally absent and should make great efforts to connect both emotionally and socially and tend to form an irritable character, easily offended and always feel inferior to others.
In terms of physical health are exposed to suffer chronic exhaustion and other ailments such as stomach ulcers, heart attacks and chronic bronchitis.
This is a behavior that tends to occur more in men than in women because they are indoctrinated from childhood ideas like power, control, prestige, success and also leads them to establish a relationship that moves away from whatever is feelings’, denying normal emotions in a human such as pain, fear and sadness.
This type of behavior is severe social and population level, since according to statistics in developed countries, where this problem exists, men live on average seven years less than women.
Symptoms of work addiction
There are several things you can do to find an addiction to work:
- The workaholic does not count his hours of work, whether in the office or at home.
- He has trouble delegating and maintaining calm relationships with his associates.
- He tends to get carried away easily and never to be satisfied with his work.
- He is struggling to leave the office, or to take days off.
- In general, his productivity is declining. He launches too many projects at the same time and finds himself overloaded.
- The work addict gradually isolates himself from his colleagues, his friends, and his family.
Note: in the most advanced cases, workaholism can also be accompanied by muscular pains, intestinal, depressive episodes or acute anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorders, etc.
Tips to overcome workaholism
If you think you are concerned by workaholism, the first reflex is to ask a professional for help:
- He will be able to make a diagnosis and offer you a concrete way of healing.
- In general, cognitive and behavioral therapy is recommended.
At your level, you can strive to take some good habits to better delineate the boundary between your professional and private life:
- Set clear work limits: for example, no work on weekends or evenings. Or, no business calls after a certain time, etc.
- Make a list of your personal priorities: you must clearly have your work priorities in mind, it is now time for important topics in your personal life to be remembered.
An addiction to work is a disorder that should not be underestimated, neither by the person directly impacted nor by the company. The ideal remains to prevent this type of pathology. For this, it is essential to raise the awareness of teams and managers. Take a break in your career and your life to reflect on the causes of this behavior is a principle to go ahead and seek professional advice to help you accept this problem, the desire for change, prioritize your personal issues before the labor and to enjoy activities on a personal level.