What is a medical emergency
In medical emergencies, we must act quickly and very efficiently. There are many common errors that are most often committed, only due to ignorance. Therefore, here are some tips to know how to act in emergencies, without worsening the injury or condition, and in the best possible way.
An emergency or medical emergency is that condition or situation that requires immediate medical attention. If you are a health professional, you surely know how to act. But if you’re not (even if you have some other knowledge, but you’re not a trained physician), you should know how to control the situation and notify the service, so that the person in trouble can expect the service without further complications.
How to respond to a medical emergency
- It is important to act cautiously in cases of medical emergencies. If you have not received training in first aid, try not to take action. Often emergency situations worsen, due to the fact that many daring act as if they were health professionals. Therefore, you must make sure to give the affected person comfort and urgent care, without mobilizing it, incorporate it or give drugs or medications to its discretion, with few exceptions.
- For example, in cases of aneurysms and other similar conditions, to the imminence of an attack, an aspirin for children, it is the only drug which you can provide without difficulty. But you must do it only if you know that he is prone to these conditions, and if you know that he is not allergic to this medication.
- In a medical emergency, seeks to give comfort to the person. If he is falling, you can support him and take him rest, to prevent damage in the fall hit. Try to place the person at rest, lying on the floor but slightly inclined (or lying or sitting). Loosens buttons cuffs, sleeves and collars of clothes as well as belt and waistband. Take off shoes gently. All this will allow better blood circulation.
- Maintain a free area around the person, avoiding to onlookers and passers-by, so the person can breathe freely. If not breathing, it is advisable to apply the technique of assisted breathing, like cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), only in urgent cases and if you have received training about it.
- Immediately notify the emergency medical service, call 911 or an ambulance or 24 hr emergency clinic in Houston. Ask someone else, as well do it, just as a precaution. If there is bleeding, places a clean cloth over the wound, using firm pressure but without force. Make sure that the wound remains free of dirt, and not come into contact with blood.
- But if, on the other hand, are you suffering from a medical emergency, the situation becomes a bit complicated if you are alone. The suspicion of a cardiac episode, the recommendation is to turn his head to the side and coughing, to stimulate the respiratory system, gaining valuable seconds in which you must call the emergency service or shout for help.