HPV Virus: Is it reactive?

The human papillomavirus have the ability to lie dormant for years. Similarly it can be asymptomatic and remit spontaneously, experts also suggest that can remain hidden and reactivate years later. Hence, the importance of the prevention, with the vaccination as most effective measure.

HPV Virus

Infection with human papillomavirus, HPV, main risk factor for cervical cancer may be asymptomatic (no symptoms) and remain dormant for years. Hence the importance of prevention and in case of suffering, diagnose it early. It is estimated, according to medical, approximately 14% of the data of women, aged between 18 to 65 years, suffering human papilloma virus. The largest number of cases occurs in young people between 18 to 26 years.

Although it is true that in the majority of cases (approximately 80%), the virus sends spontaneously without sequelae, the remaining 20% can remain dormant in the body, sometimes for years. In about 5% of these cases, the virus can cause cellular changes in the cervix that, over time, can lead to cancer.

HPV: How to detect it?

Although usually attend without just signs, one of the manifestations that we can alert are the appearance of warts in the intimate area (cervix, vagina). The most common form of transmission is through relationships.

The vaccine is, according to experts, the most effective way of preventing the emergence of the papilloma virus and prevents reinfection. In fact, although the vaccine is given between 11 to 14 years, experts also recommend the vaccine to women who already have HPV lesions as between 35 to 45 HPV picks up steam, being the vaccine useful to prevent the recurrence of infection in patients already treated. Doctors and specialists recommend consulting this possibility to those women who meet any of these factors: having more than 40 years, being a smoker, being in the stage of menopause, taking birth control, abortions have suffered injuries or have cytology, a simple noninvasive test to detect possible changes in cells caused by HPV before they become cancer.

Remember that the human papillomavirus includes more than a hundred different types. At least 15 of these viruses (especially genotype 16-18) are considered high risk because it can cause cervical cancer.