Did you know that the sciatic nerve is the longest and thickest of the human body? At some points it can reach up to 1.5 cm in diameter! It begins in the spinal cord, in the lower part of the back, runs the entire leg and reaches the foot. It controls the muscles of the entire leg, from the thigh to the sole of the foot. When there is pressure or damage to this nerve, it causes sciatica, which in reality is not a disease in itself but a symptom of other conditions.
The sciatica pain occurs when there is pressure on the nerve caused by lesions of the lumbar vertebrae, nerve inflammation or contractions of the muscles around the sciatic nerve.
Several homemade recipes you can use to relieve sciatic nerve pain, relaxing muscles, activating the circulation and reducing inflammation.
Home Remedies for Sciatica pain
These are some home remedies that will help relieve the sciatica pain.
Home Remedy with potatoes
Bake 4 potatoes until a puree. Spread the puree on a spacious and clean cloth, as a poultice and placed on the lower back. Secure with the help of a shirt. Keep well until it loses heat. Repeat a couple of times a day.
Nettle against sciatica
Make a dip in the affected area with a nettle infusion prepared with a liter of water. This relaxes the sciatic nerve and decreases pain.
Thyme and oregano as anti-inflammatory
Like nettle, in the form of infusions are excellent remedies for sciatica due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Place a tablespoon of thyme, oregano and other third nettle in a quart of water. Let boil for a period of 15 minutes, then let stand for 5 minutes and strain all the preparation. Drink twice a day.
Herbal tea against sciatica pain
Pour a cup of boiling water over a few grams of equal parts of marjoram, anise, mint and rosemary. Let stand for five minutes preparation. Drink one cup before bedtime.
Milk and Garlic
Crush two cloves of garlic in 1/2 cup of milk and drink it, morning and evening, without chewing garlic bits. The results are seen within two weeks.
Homemade recipe with cabbage for sciatica
Apply good hot several leaves of cabbage on the affected area. Left in place until it loses heat.
Hops poultice to take away the pain
Boil the grass for ten minutes and then wrapped in a tulle or chiffon. Apply to the hottest area that can withstand and cover with a woolen cloth to retain heat longer. To keep the water of this preparation to wet grass again when it cools down.
Homemade recipe with onion
Cut an onion in half and with the inside of one of the halves with gentle circular movements massage the area for 10 minutes. Repeat after some hours to soothe the pain.
Celery tea for sciatica pain
Wash several complete celery sticks, bark and leaves, and place in a pot with boiling water. Simmer until the water turns green. Take two cups of this celery tea daily.
Rubbing the thighs for ten minutes with a horsehair glove, wet with hot water and soaked with a few drops of savory essence. Friction particularly the back side of the thighs going from the buttock to the hamstring and should always proceed in the same direction: first from top to bottom and then from bottom to top. This friction with savory will act deeply on the sciatic nerve relieving pain.
Ginger and oil
Massage the area with a mixture of ground ginger and sesame oil.
Massage with oils
Massaging the area in a circular motion, with fish oil or flaxseed oil.
Make a poultice of mustard and apply to the affected area. This preparation will produce a reddening of the area with the resulting heat. Not kept on the site for more than 20 minutes.
Valerian to relax and relieve pain
Take an infusion of valerian, passionflower or kava to promote muscle relaxation if sciatica is caused by muscle contractions that press on the nerve.
Recommendations for sciatica pain
- Never bend the column to pick up an object from the ground; It is necessary to bend the knees since the column bend when the pressure exerted on the vertebrae is 10 times its weight.
- When cleaning the home, it is recommended sweeping and mopping with an instrument that has a long handle, and paths are made vertically. Whether to clean under tables, chairs or beds, will need to sit down. Thus the stress on the spine is avoided. Tilting is an action very detrimental to this area.
- Sleep on a suitable mattress. To determine if the mattress is adequate, it is required to lie down and reach between the lumbar spine (above the buttocks) and the mattress. If the hand has difficulty going up or down, the mattress is going well. If you cannot move your hand, it is soft, and if moves with great ease, it is very hard.
- Not wear tight clothes.
- Sit with your back straight.
- Rest on a firm bed.
- Avoid sudden practice exercises or certain positions and movements typical of yoga.
- Not to remain sitting in a very hard chair for a long time.
- Avoid driving the car for extended periods, as it can cause an sciatica attack. When driving, the legs are tense and, if maintained for several hours, can cause a “stretching” of the sciatic nerve. If you can easily prevent it by making several stops on the very long routes to get out of the car and stretch your legs.